Search Quality Rater Evaluates Sites
SITE ASSESSMENT PRINCIPLES
1. Content – it fully and visually responds to the request / h1. There is a quality additional content.
2. Information about the site – contact details and information about the responsible persons.
3. Site reputation – feedbacks and recommendations on third-party sites.
4. Mention of the site / brand in the media, encyclopedias, thematic portals.
5. Assessment of the external component and ease of interaction with the page.
Assessment scheme Page Quality
YouTube video rating
The purpose of the page / site is to make money with minimal effort:
- Intrusive advertising in the informational text – the purpose of the page is to sell a product / service, but not to solve the user’s problem.
- Over-optimized SEO-text. Unnatural listings of the key words.
- Intrusive, distracting, or exceeding the volume of the main content advert.
- Most of the pages of the site are of poor quality / advertising.
Content misinforms or deceives users:
- Отзывы о компании или продукции не естественные.
• Banners and affiliate links must be labeled as advertising.
• Ratings should be backed up by feedbacks or an understandable comparison system.
• The text should not be based on general phrases without reliance on facts.
• The specified company is not registered or the contact details of the participants are incorrect.
• Feedbacks about the company or product are not natural.
QUALITY OF THE MAIN CONTENT
Content is assessed from a mobile phone – completeness of presentation, satisfaction of needs, ease of perception and use.
The main content is not only a text, but necessarily photos, filtering / navigation, infographics, comparison tables and videos.
Recommendations for images:
– Dynamism (real context, use of the subject).
– Inspiration (bright, colorful, high contrast).
COMPLETENESS OF THE CONTENT
For each type of page, attention is paid to its triggers, for example, on the page with Soft, there should be a free content and an up-to-date version.
When searching for a product, regionality, free shipping, product availability and the availability of filters (by manufacturer / price / product characteristics) are important.
And when assessing the page with goods / services with all other ones being equal, the store with a more attractive price will receive a higher rating.
1. All kinds of goods / services / solutions are presented.
2. Elements used in advanced search snippets (lists, images, videos, etc.) are presented on the page and are fundamental.
3. Additional content responds to related user requests.
CONFIDENCE IN THE CONTENT
• The content must be supported by links to original sources and research (or YouTube videos).
• The page is located on the theme-based site.
• The date of publication and the author with the relevant profession are indicated.
STRUCTUREDNESS OF THE CONTENT
1. A logical sequence of presentation of thought.
2. Breakdown of the story into subheadings (every 3-4 paragraphs).
3. Highlighting the main thoughts of the story.
Content hierarchical organization is mandatory.
It is important to always add additional value but not to fill SEO with texts. For example, give instructions and infographics on how to choose the product / service under discussion
Work specification or the article
(Example – Pavlutskiy Aleksandr)
It is important for the user to receive clear step-by-step instruction to resolve his issue with examples, visual materials with all possible options and nuances.
1. A brief answer to the user’s question. Then place the facts, on the basis of which the conclusion was made, then the pros and cons, explanations and conclusion. It is good when it fits into 4 paragraphs.
2. If this is a product card or a category, in the mobile version, the first screen should show the product defining the title and also filtering, price but not, for example, the menu, banner, bread crumbs, etc.
3. In each paragraph, highlight 1-3 key points. It is difficult to keep attention on a wide text, maximum up to 75 characters per line and place important points on the left.
4. Highlight the elements with the target action. Be sure to place a call to action, often the user does not understand where to go next.
Do not use duplicate words in the lists and tables – it looks like spam and re-optimization. Also, do not use decorative pictures and elements, especially in the mobile version.
NAVIGATION AND CONVENIENCE OF INTERACTION
The availability of specialized site functions and their functional amplitude: filtering, search, shopping cart, rating stars, tags, a quick scroll up button, calculators, etc.
• Correct work of the site search – the required product / service / or answer are found even with incomplete or inaccurate writing.
• Availability of convenient filters for quick selection. There should be ability to place an order with a minimum number of steps.
• Extended information (feedbacks, reviews, extended list of features, etc.).
• Place a list of tags in the form of a summary at the beginning of the page with a quick transition through the content and get the opportunity to expand the snippet.
1. In the mobile version of the site there is a modern, convenient, neat design reflecting the theme of the site, with color schemes that do not distract from the main content.
2. The page focuses on the main content. The page functions are convenient to use. Additional content and advertising are easily distinguishable from the main content (large print 16+, highlighting the main messages, indents).
3. Advertising is not only banners but also affiliate links, commercial ratings, recommendations, etc.
Here you should pay attention to both the quantity and quality of advertising, as well as whether it makes it difficult to work with the page (there should be no “yellow advertising”).
1. Relevant links in the menu or article previews complementing the page theme. If the required page is not available, it is possible to link to articles located on third-party sites.
2. All additional types of topics (services, goods, etc.) discussed on the page and Frequently Asked Questions must be presented.
3. The preview of additional articles should be made informative, with a thesis response to the user’s request in the description.
Implementation of hub pages, clustering:
UNIQUENESS OF THE CONTENT
1. If the photos are not unique, it is necessary that the resolution and quality of your image to be better than that of the original source (added value is always important).
2. It is stated that the content must be unique – in the Google search results there should not be sites with parts of the text, both completely identical and minimally modified (by generation with minor replacements). Usually, assessors are checked by copying a random paragraph and searching for it on Google, if the content is stolen, the score will be underestimated.
3. Some people check by means of plagiarism checker services – for a good assessment, the level of uniqueness should exceed 60% -70%.
Site and content creator information
Information priority order:
1. Brand / company information.
2. Information about the editor (editorial policy) / management team.
3. Data of the author / co-author.
When evaluating commercial proposals, the quality of work of the enterprise itself is examined first of all but not the quality of the site.
In the autumn of 2020, Google introduced an additional item for assessing e-commerce – this is the information about customer service (delivery terms, payment options, customers’ feedbacks).
February 2021: New ID Forms.
As a minimum, you must provide a physical address, phone number and email.
For Above Average assessments and YMYL Sites:
1. Place the legal data of the company on the website.
2. On the contacts page, place all possible communication options: it is important to be presented in all kinds of social networks and instant messengers (at least facebook, youtube, linkedin, twitter, whatsapp).
3. It is a must to indicate phone numbers and addresses. Each department has its own email, phone number and contact person for communication.
4. Register your site with Googlemybusiness. Add Google map with attached GMB card and rating display.
- Place active elements with ratings and feedbacks from catalogs or sites with feedbacks on the site . What matters is not a static rating and the ability to follow the link to read feedbacks. For example, google maps, bbb.org, yelp.com, trustpilot, or sitejabber.
- Indicate the data of the management and the main personnel of the company – photos, resume, employees’ work phone numbers.
Example of companies’ pages:
ACHIEVEMENTS AND QUALITY CERTIFICATES
It is very important to confirm all information by mentioning in the texts and linking from third-party sites which organize awards or simply discuss the achievements.
• Awards in any form (prizes, medals, diplomas of laureates, gratitude from the regional authorities etc.).
• For project participants, you can place the certificates issued within the organization.
• Information about your own academic work, scientific work, patents.
• Reputable customers, especially large-scale and complex projects.
• Feedbacks – if there are feedbacks in the form of letters of recommendation from companies, with signatures and seals (clients are not required to be famous).
Important! Feedbacks of ordinary users on web pages are ignored, they are too easy to fake.
Description of the content author / editor-in-chief for maximum rating:
1. An example of a well-filled editor page:
Explanations of implementation principles:
2. It is necessary to indicate the data of the main staff and editorial staff in the form of a resume (according to which you would have accepted him for his position).
With links to important publications on other subject portals and reputational articles in the form of interviews or biographies, working contacts for communication.
3. By request in the search Full name + profession, your editor, author, manager must be in Google. This is a key point in working with authors and their EAT.
Promotion of the author in the network
Some pages of the authors / experts and the editor on the site must be promoted in the search by mentioning / quoting and placing links from the expert’s personal resources, pages with interviews, biographies, etc.
At the request of Full name + specialization, on the first lines of the search there should be the page of your site and on the page there should be a link to the author’s articles.
Important triggers when assessing commercial sites
• Page with guarantees and return information. With convenient conditions for users.
• Thoroughly designed portfolio page.
• A large selection of product photos, very detailed specifications, customer reviews with photos (a lot of feedbacks, there are not only positive ones, it is possible to embed reviews from external independent sites for collecting reviews), the ability to compare the product with other similar products, video instructions or surveys.
• Many payment options are supported (by card, cash, e-wallet, etc.). It is possible to pay for the goods after inspection.
• A wide selection of products of different categories or a wide selection of products according to the specialization of the store
• Clear shipping and payment information.
• There should be a user-friendly return and exchange system.
• It is good when there is information about consultants (in the form of photos and resumes) who help to pick up a product by phone or other means of communication.
• Insurance of goods / services and additional services.
• Page with promotions and discounts.
The reputation of the site and the main content creator
SERM is one of the most important factors when assessing sites. It is important to understand that the site, the company, the management, the editor and the author should have good reputation.
Most important thing is the reputation of the brand under which this or that author is published. Further the reputation and fame of the editor follows, and only then the author.
Reputation information is taken into account when it is confirmed on third-party sites. Therefore, it is important to collect users’ feedbacks on specialized sites, but not publish them on your website.
Since May 2020, the search for a reputation about the site does NOT occur by requesting brand + reviews, but it is carried out by redirecting:
In some niches, sites with a negative reputation may be ranked if this is the norm for the subject.
When assessing a site, feedbacks are read by assessors, and Google also learns to distinguish useful feedbacks from useless ones:
MARKS OF EXCELLENCE
Reputation is taken into account when this information is confirmed in a search.
• The site / company / main content creator must have at least two any marks of excellence (award or medal, diploma, etc.).
• Social networks of the site / company / editor – their popularity can also affect the rating.
• If your expert / company representative / author is not in the TOP10 by full name, then he is not popular and authoritative enough, and there will be no more rating higher than medium +.
• About the editor / author / creator of the content – evidence of a positive reputation can be interviews and articles about him, biographies and resumes, information about awards and prizes, mentions of participation in conferences and public speaking.
It can also be the author’s page in the catalog or personal site with the author’s resume and feedbacks about him.
For example, for doctors on similar services: https://doc.ua/.
For experts, you can register separately GMB and collect feedbacks there, like about a professional. Fill in the profile and add links to the expert’s page on the website or personal website.
Also the author / manager can be a blogger (or just socially active on the subject of the site / article in question) with active social networks
Finding the information about reputation
The search is carried out by request in Google (site.com – site: site.com), users’ feedbacks according to interaction with the site should be shown on specialized sites, in catalogs, GMB and social networks.
On request – the name of the company, informational articles about the company in the media and catalogs.
When requested – name of the editor / author + specialization, profiles in social networks, personal website, article-biography about the author.
1. If there are sites with negative information about the project, it must be driven out by positive information.
2. For the highest ratings, mentions must be on reputable, recognized and well-known sites: popular news portals, government agencies, universities, encyclopedias.
- For maximum rating, there should be an article in wikipedia, in a positive way, both about the site / company and the management, and about the content creator (knowledge graph).
Often, when searching for a reputation, non-main content creator profiles on forums, comments with links on non-thematic pages and other spammy links or clearly advertising articles on sites of dubious quality pop up.
In this case, the final grade is underestimated.
• It also happens that a site is “drop” (expired) and its brand contains information about its past owners, but not about new ones. In such a situation, one might think that the current owner of the site is trying to deceive users and the mark 3 in the point will be put or the overall rating will be underestimated.
• Purchased links: so that the link does not look advertising-purchased, the information in the text should be useful
1. It makes sense to order an article for a micro low-frequency request (a page with a link should be evaluated by the PageQuality system).
2. Indicate in the article who exactly acts as an expert / representative, give the information about him, also place his resume on your resource.
3. You can do an article-interview with management about the process of starting the organization and its benefits. Also, press releases on thematic news portals usually look natural.
- For linking from forums, you should use the full name + photo of the expert / author indicated on the site with the most complete profile. Upgrade your account on the forum – answer questions about the site’s subject and create useful topics.
• You should not use anchors like: here, there, etc. (they are rated as clearly SEO-friendly).
• Links from profiles can be placed on the pages of authors / experts / representatives of the resource, with the filling of professional information about them.
Based on the algorithms used by the assessors to search for information about the site, it is necessary:
1. Place non-anchor links in reputational materials, feedbacks and articles about project participants.
2. Brand links in interviews with the founders and information about the achievements of the company / site.
3. Anchor links should be placed in commercial articles and when promoting pages with the information about experts.
Expertise, Authority, Reliability (EAT)
1. EAT is NOT an indication of the author and contact information, it is an item of information about the site and the creator of the content.
2. EAT is NOT feedbacks about the site or recommendations on the forums, it is the site and the content creator’s item of reputation.
3. EAT is NOT a quality content and links to authoritative sources of information, it is the main and additional content.
Example of assessment of a medical library site where there is no actual author:
Assessment of medical issue:
Examples of Google feedbacks, as rated by commercial review sites, December 2020:
The key point in assessing the EAT parameter is the confirmation of the provided information on the site, about the site / company, its participants and the level of usefulness of the content in the Google search, those links and mentions on third-party sites. And the more authoritative sites mention the site, the more trust in the resource.
Now it is an analogue to PageRankhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank. With this, it is important to appropriately distribute the types of referencing resources throughout the project and link the information on the site with authoritative sites through outbound links or through micro-marking.
Important factors are the popularity of the company, the period of work (the history of the domain), the achievements of the company, the recommendations of users, the popularity, experience and education of the authors of the content or editorial staff and their reputation (meaning the information not on the site, but in the search – on third-party sites!).
If one of the sections of the site is devoted to the YMYL topic, then the entire site will refer to it.
SEO statistics for the EAT subject:
Expertise is the subject of the site, proven experience and education of the staff / editor / management.
The expertise of participants of enterprises such as, for example, medical clinics, driving schools, private schools, universities, etc. is applied to the entire organization.
• The higher the level of education the more authoritative sites mention the content creator (company) / editor / manager. By the name of the editor / author, Google issues a graph of knowledge, the company / author has a page in Wikipedia, the information about the expert is presented on the websites of universities, state portals, famous news portals, directories … resumes on job sites.
• For a company, the level of expertise is measured by its experience in the subject matter, management and employees. The social profiles of the company must be filled with expert materials on behalf of the management / personnel indicated on the site (expert assessments / reviews, interviews). A developed Youtube channel or the presence of expert video content (with the links in descriptions) from the project participants can be an advantage.
Authoritativeness is the popularity of the brand / author / management (popularity in social networks, frequency of mentioning / citation in their subject).
• QualityRater can measure the popularity of the resource by the number of subscribers in social networks, both the site and the expert. Social profiles should have audience activity and positive comments.
• It is necessary to create the maximum number of news occasions, in a positive way, around the company on all kinds of platforms. Not only direct links are taken into account, but also references (citations).
• The company can also be advertised offline and on TV, therefore the quality raters are already known (and therefore the site receives branded traffic).
• Still the popularity of the resource can be measured by the number of visitors, for example, at www.similarweb.com.
Reliability is the credibility of a company which is based on its openness, popularity and history.
The credibility of the document depends on the authorship and the strong brand of the site. Who created this web page and how much should you trust it? Either one creator or some editorial board is usually responsible for the content of sites.
• What is the rating of most of the pages on the site?
• How popular is the service itself?
• Legal purity of all participants.
• Public disclosure of the top officials of the company and the content creator.
• Local offices registered in catalogs.
• Operational efficiency and user support.
• Warranty commitments and liability for content and product.
• Necessarily positive feedbacks on interaction on all kinds of sites.
HOW TO INCREASE EAT ARTIFICIALLY
Important: the site must include the entire team involved in creating the content and the site as a whole.
The designer, photographer, content manager, web developer, marketing specialist, author, editor, etc. are all responsible for the quality and value of the content. Expertise will be summed up. Create a separate page for each employee.
If your brand and author are not well known enough, you need to create a small network of online sites for each employee.
It is best to find expired domains of significant persons, with articles about them on Wikipedia, The NewYorkTimes, etc. Ideally, it will be an expert in the subject or about the subject of your site.
For real experts, subject domains are suitable, on which it will be possible to deploy a biographical site about an expert.
For brands, for example, domains with links from the sites of manufacturers of goods in your topic are suitable.
You can also quickly and reliably create a website from scratch using the Googlesites.google.com constructor and swing it with re-directs and profiles.
It is important to place on the site:
• Professional resume. In the form of an article with photographs from places of work, diplomas and links to the university (or through micro-marking) and places of obtaining advanced training certificates, portfolios or confirmation of participation in other projects (outgoing links to authoritative sites, increase the level of trust in the document and its relevance) …
• Submit maximum working contact information and social networks / professional profiles.
• On one of the pages, collect feedbacks from employers and partners (in the form of letters of thanks, rating stars, comment forms).
It is important to find a variety of photos of the promoted character (do not use the generated photos – they are immediately evident). Photos should be taken from social networks of a little-known person, from stock photos, or create a clone of an expert who has no obvious online popularity.
Also company photos (for GMB and company page). Print the logo, attach to the building of the company and take a photo if you want to remain incognito.
Take photos with diplomas and cups, they can be bought in specialized stores. For high ratings, the company and the expert must stand out from the crowd and should be distinguished with their achievements (which must be confirmed by mentions and links from event sites).
Photos should be varied and of high quality. If you took a photo from the Internet, be sure to improve it, increase the resolution to the maximum and change the EXIF, for example, here www.thexifer.net.
Social profile and catalogs:
• Work out a detailed resume of the expert, it should contain several distinctive signs, type of nominations for the award, diplomas or received grant, etc.
According to this resume, it is necessary to fill in the Fb, Li profiles, place the resume on the personal site and sites with job search. Be sure to put links to the promoted and personal site.
• It is necessary to create the maximum number of social profiles (required: highly specialized-professional and facebook.com, linkedin.com) and completely fill them with the information about the place of work with references to the promoted and personal site.
• Add the expert’s site to GMB, indicate your full name and profession in the title (compatible with your promoted site), add positive feedbacks indicating your full name and company. Fill in the about columns as much as possible – preferably with the text from your resume.
• Add an expert to catalogs, for example scholar.google.com, create a profile on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:”author ”and fill it with the information with links, then enter the data into maps and reference books by profession. It is necessary to add all department heads to the catalogs, indicating the promoted site
• It is important to fill all profiles with relevant information as much as possible (it is necessary not just to put a link, but to surround it with the necessary information – a photo of the person, full name, education, profession and achievements, current place of work – all in a positive way) and indicate the promoted site as a place of work and social profiles
Google Search Expert Promotion:
• First of all, the reputation is important. Add your personal site to services with the ability to post feedbacks, for example, trustpilot.com and publish feedbacks (at least 20, to be natural). In the feedbacks, indicate your full name, specialization and promoted company.
• Order a biographical article about the expert from the encyclopedia.
• Publish the article as an interview with an expert, in a news issue or magazine.
Place links to expert profiles from blogs and forums, so that when you request the expert’s full name, the search will display: PAGE ABOUT THE EXPERT ON THE PROMOTED SITE, personal site (transferring weight to the promoted site), sites with feedbacks (showing the reputation), social networks ( showing the reality of the expert), biographical article and interviews (confirming the expertise).
You can increase the network of online sites by collecting the sites of organizations (and they have their own employees), “where the promoted person once worked” or this is the current partner of the promoted site (where in the partners block there is the site logo with a link to the promoted project). It is possible to create websites of private universities “where the expert teaches”. Find expired domains of conferences “where an expert mad a speech and received a prestigious award” or was just a listener.
In this format, it is necessary to work out all the employees (at least heads of departments) represented on the site (mandatory for the editor, no matter the subject of YMYL or not, and it is worth indicating the co-authors of the experts).
How is the site EAT level checked?
The EAT of the project is checked according to the same principles as that of an individual expert.
A Google search for site.com –site: site.com should contain:
• Several sites with 100+ feedbacks and 4+ ratings.
• Filled Googlemybusiness card (with collected feedbacks).
• An article in an encyclopedia (preferably in Wikipedia and a knowledge graph) about the company, management, product / service in a positive way.
• An interview with the management or an expert representative, on a subject platform or news portal.
• Mentioning of participation in subject conferences or exhibitions and receiving awards.
• Active social profiles with verification (checkmark).
- An article about the company in a news issue / press release.
- Catalogs of organizations – bbb.org, yelp.com (with collected feedbacks).
The first pages of the search should not contain:
• Unclear profiles of individuals who are not listed on the site.
• Links from comments, especially not about the subject.
• Links from unknown forums and commentators without an avatar and a completed profile.
• Pages with negative reputation – ratings about the project.
• Purchased article references with useless content on sites of
The information about the company and employees on the promoted site.
The well-known SearchQualityRatingGuidelines states that high marks should be given to significant resources, global brands, government websites and iconic persons such as Nobel laureates.
Therefore, in order to get a High rating, the site must look better
and be more popular in its field, at least within one country.
• Corporate photo of the employees in the office or with the logo at the background with the indication of the name of the organization, the definition of activities and experience in the field.
• Photos of heads of departments, in the order of the corporate structure, indicating the full name, position, contact details, Linkedin and other social profiles. By clicking there should be a transition to a page with a detailed resume and indication of significant publications, an interview with an expert and biographies in encyclopedias (or through micro-marking).
• Video appeal of the company’s management.
• Widgets of ratings from third-party sites for collecting feedbacks.
• Ability to leave a comment, feedback, put a rating about the company at the bottom of the page and about each representative under his resume.
• Awards and photo reports from conferences and exhibitions (with reference marking).
• List famous partners (with links to indicate relevance).
• Submit certificates allowing the activity with a detailed
• A paragraph with advantages that distinguish the site from the
• Physical addresses of the offices and representative offices in different cities and countries.
• City phone numbers for each representative office.
• Contact information indicating a specific contact person (and detailed information about him), each department of the company.
• Time and days of work.
• Map with attached GMB widget.
• Video – how to get to the office.
• Feedback form / call back button.
• Page with the company guarantees. The company should be responsible for the information posted on the site (or this responsibility may be assigned to a third-party company engaged in the development and content of the site). The company must also be responsible for the goods sold and the services provided. Provide certificates of conformity and post information on the convenient and legal return of goods.
• A page with transparent conditions and shipping rates.
• A page with sales managers – consultants / experts.
• A page with promotions and discounts.
• A page with vacancies.
The assessors’ blog has an article on review sites that says sites like this should be rated Low +, for example, wiki.ezvid.com. It is justified by the fact that it is not clear who the authors of the articles are. At the same time, the site www.consumerreports.org, is given as an example for the rating High, as it is assumed that they have their own university and real experts conducting experiments – the article was updated on 04.19.
In answers to questions as of 07.20 – pages influencing the choice or recommended goods / services should be attributed to the YMYL category.
• There is more confidence in narrow-subject sites, as the author / editor can be an expert in only one subject.
Relevant and necessary additional content is present.
The subject of the site is not blurred by non-profile links.
• A breakdown of goods / services by category and a qualitative comparison by key parameters are important.
• A plus is a variety of products / services from different stores (partner networks).
• It is important to reinforce the selling pages with additional informational content.
• The development of social networks on behalf of the brand / author’s blog or the collection of emails for mailing can be a plus when providing the site assessment
Resolution on the review sites escaping the penalty (December 2020 update):
1. 70 +% of the site should be informational pages, and ~ 20% can be commercial.
2. The main value of a review article is to get additional information about a product / service that is not available on the seller’s website.
3. The time spent on the page is an indicator of its usefulness, you cannot immediately redirect to the seller’s website from the first screens.
Assessment of sites on the example of casinos and bookmakers
The evaluation criteria are the same as any other review site.
In the Google rating form, there are no marks for partner sites, doorways or casinos and bookmakers, but at the same time, many pages with such subjects will be marked in the 3rd paragraph of the form. The rating depends on the main content of the page.
The line between Partner Site – Spam Content and Good Content:
• A set of demo versions of slot machines with partner links, a pseudo mirror with a partner redirect, “TOP” or casino / slot machine rating, without obvious additional value and validity is a partner page.
• The main content of the site is a set of monotonous articles on how to play slot machines, withdraw and deposit money, receive bonuses, place bets at a bookmaker – this is spam.
• A meaningful article about sports, forecasts, match results, videos, when the content of the page is valuable for the user is already a good content. At the same time, the page may contain partner banners and advertisements, but are not included in the text, visually distinguishable from the main content.
• An article about sports, forecasts, match results, videos in the presence of partner links or ad slots associated with the text of the article is a partner site.